Wednesday 6 February 2013

You've got to start somewhere...



… so this seems as good a place as any.

Let’s begin with a little bit of autobiography shall we?


I am twenty five, and live in London. I have been a water polo player since the age of thirteen, a cyclist to varying degrees throughout my life and went swimming for the first time at six months old. Sport has given me a lot over the years, and like many would find life pretty unbearable without it. I’ve previously been a student of history and political science. Apart from that, I don’t think there is much more you need to know about me. It just seems improper to exclude any kind of contextualisation to the blogs that will follow.

What Bleeding Edge will cover is the following: sport, the problem of doping, the challenge of combating it, the measurement of sport through science and statistics, the dynamic between the descriptive and normative in sport, the organisation of sport and the artifice around it. The first post proper will follow in due course.

I have been meaning to start this blog for about two years, and in those two years the discourse around sport has shifted in location and content. The year-on-year increase in focus on the relationship between money, PEDs and sport is remarkable and the feeling that, for many sports, a crisis point has either been reached or is a scandal way is commonplace.

But you knew that already…

No comments:

Post a Comment